What this is all about


Making everyday life experiences and activities (that may either be mundane or taken for granted) and adding a challenge to them.
It's about pushing comfort zones, learning new things and adapting to change.




Tuesday, October 25, 2011

#13 - Fruit and Veggies Only

Challenge: Eat fruits and vegetables only for one week.

I made it 5 days. The idea of not partaking in the smorgasbord at a family get together last weekend did not sit well with me or me tummy. It wasn’t worth “sevening.” Also, I had a cold all week and saw my doctor. He recommended not dieting/detoxing while sick as it can make sickness last longer. Still, I wussed out.

The hardest part of the five days was abstaining from sweets. I look forward to eating things that whet my pallet. When I cannot, I almost feel a void. I could not look forward to a malt in the evening or a burger when I’m out to eat. I realized how easy it is to become dependent on comfort foods. I do, however, enjoy eating vegetables and fruits and had no problem eating an abundance of them over my five day stretch. I felt better and had more energy. I also think my organs offered up an audible thank you now and then.

Take-aways
1. Eating is one of the great pleasures in life. Tucking into a juicy burger or a delicious bowl of ice cream can be a real joy.
2. Food ≠ Happiness. Yes food can be awesome, but it’s not cool to be dependent on it for joy.

NEXT CHALLENGE – ONE MONTH LONG: NO SHAVING

No comments:

Post a Comment